Wednesday, July 9, 2008

We Are Still Alive & Kicking

Time to play catchup! Sorry I'm not Johnny-on-the-blogspot! It has been rather hot & humid here & I don't feel like sitting inside on the computer when I can be outside.


We had a pretty busy 4th weekend. Spent quite a bit of time working keeping the restrooms picked up. Gosh, are all campers that careless & have no respect for the property of the campground?????? Just wondering!

On Fri., the 4th, coffee & donuts were served in the pavilion with a chance to visit with all those camping. Then the Cribbage Tournament was held. Bill played pretty much all afternoon. He came in 5th & got a cooler bag. Needless to say, I played 2 games & was out the door. Oh well, there was no magician there & as they say, it's all in the cards or NOT!


Evalyn, Phil, Brad & Bill in the Cribbage Tournament

I came back to the trailer, picked up my MP3 & CAMERA & headed out for a walk. It was a beautiful day, breezy & not too hot. Since it wasn't hot & humid, the scenery was a lot clearer. Here are a some pictures from my walk:

Entrance to Campground

I love the sign: "Too costly to travel, No fun on a bus, So pack up the Family and come stay with us"You can just see a little white dot (a house) past the pine tree on the right way up the road, I walk past this house (several hills in between!)A farmer never gets to celebrate a holiday - his work is never done!
The farm in the background is my 2nd cousin, Brad's, in Fentonville. That is the road I grew up on. The field you can see across from it was my Dad's. This farm was my uncle's (Brad's grandfather)
Looking in the same direction the hills in the far back were part of my dad's property - all trees! My cousins used to make a yearly trek up to the top of one that was called Farley Hill. I never got to go. They all grew up before me & when I was big enough to go, they quit!
Black Eyed Susan's along Riverside Rd.Back at the campground Leon takes the kids for a wagon ride
This is the creek that you saw in the last post. Now you can see the rocks in the bottom!
The creek on the other side of the bridge

On Saturday, Bill played in the Horseshoe Tournament. He ended up being partners with an old friend from my teenage days. Lenny T. is a summer resident here. I went to talk with him & he didn't remember me at first until we started talking. Spent time with the Bennett girls in Fentonville & the Carlstrom boys & Walt V. We used to have hayrides, game nights & a lot of good old fun. He remembered playing Pit at the Bennett's house. His uncle was married to one of the older Bennett gals. We had a lot of fun times. The world really is a small place. Never dreamed I would be spending my summers at a campground this close to my old stomping grounds either. As from the pictures above, my childhood home isn't that far away.


Saturday afternoon while Bill was playing horseshoes, I went on an angel hunt! If anyone of you reading this was familiar with my home in N. Warren you will think I'm nuts! I had a huge collection of angels of all shapes & sizes. Now when I needed some, I had to go looking for some to buy! Well, I got to visit the flea markets, antique stores, all the dollar stores, etc. Didn't buy anything until I found what I wanted. Did pretty good. Needed them for a craft project we will be doing here at the campground. Of course, each person decides on their own theme, but I had this in mind as I'm using mine as a gift. So I knew this would work. Glad I could find a few here & there. I guess it wasn't the right time of year to be looking for angels! Not close enough to Christmas.





Saturday night was Bingo night. Bill doesn't play, but I usually go just to have something to do. Another night of "no wins". Although, a couple weeks before, I did win a game. I only play one sheet of 6 cards. That's enough for me to keep track of. I do it more for fun than anything else. After Bingo, everyone rushed home to light their luminaries. That is the campground's way of celebrating the 4th. It was really pretty neat! Several people had patriotic music playing as well. It was hard to take pictures though. They didn't show up too well.


This picture is looking towards Q's house & our trailerThis is a watermelon that was carved by Mel H. What talent!!! It was beautiful!See, it really is a watermelon!

Sunday afternoon/night we went to my sister's for a wiener roast. She was burning up scrap pieces & bark from wood that they had been splitting for winter. We asked them to come here, but since she already had a fire going & Bob wasn't feeling up to par, we went there. I even ate 2 REAL smores! Really good! Of course, we played cards before we ate & after.



So that was our weekend. Nothing earth shattering, but a chance to relax & spend time with friends and family.

Tuesday I went to the post office to mail another of my Lifetime pots & pans (really called Lustre Craft) back for repair. I had sent one back earlier & I got it back all fixed with a new handle all for the price of shipping! Not bad for 42 year old pans! So I sent in another one that needed repair & a new handle. Was so glad to see they are still in business! Then I went to visit my brother Ray & sister-in-law Barb. She had just finished baking bread to send to the produce/fruit market in Stillwater, NY. (My other sister-in-law, Bev, makes pies for their. Yummy!!!!) My brother met me at the door with a cast on his wrist. Nothing serious, he just had carpel tunnel surgery on Monday morning. I hope it works out for him. I know, I have the beginnings of it in my hands. Right now I just wear braces to bed at night. Still sometimes I wake up & they are tingling & asleep. Just trying to keep it from getting worse too quick. Never had surgery on anything, so I'll try anything to prolong it. If I can wait as long as he did, I've got another 17 years!!!! Gosh, I can't believe my brothers & sisters are getting that far up in years! How did that happen?????? I thought when I got older, time stood still. Ha! Ha!

Today was weigh-in day! I lost 1 lb. Not bad for over a holiday weekend! I was pleased. I just have to keep remembering, I didn't gain it 2-3 lbs. per week either! Just have to persevere!


Well, I'm getting way off here. Guess I'd better call it a night. Until next time.....The Traveling Cardinal's





No comments: