Sunday, December 7, 2008

Beautiful Saturday

Saturday was a beautiful sunny, 70's day in AZ. Went to breakfast of pancakes, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, juice & coffee or tea for only $4.00 and we didn't even have to spend money for transportation!

I came home & spent the day making some Christmas Candy and Bill went to play cards. When he told the guys what I was doing, they said, 'don't forget us"! Well, maybe I'll save a few pieces out for them! I just need to get some of this done ahead of time so I can get my little kids packages ready to mail. I called my brother, Ray, to wish him a happy birthday. Gosh 78!!!!! He's doing good! Next Sat. is my sister's birthday & (shhhhhhh, she's only a year behind him!) He said it was too cold to go out hunting. So he stayed in today.

Sat. night Bill and I went to Fountain Hills, AZ for their Stroll in The Glow. Similar to Christmas Walk in downtown Warren, PA. There was a countdown for the lights to be lit on the Avenue of the Fountains, shops were open for free treats - they were giving away cookies (I didn't have any but the cookie monster did), hot chocolate (couldn't resist), candy & wine from a fountain in the jewelry store, had to have a little taste. Bill & I split a small glass. Stores were open for shopping too & then Santa arrived by Fire Truck. The only thing different between here & PA was they had to "make" their own snow for the kids to play in & the weather was quite a bit warmer than back in PA!!!! I asked some teen if I could touch his "snowball" (more like ice ball), so now I've had my official winter. Gosh, it didn't take much to make me happy did it?

At it's full height (every hr. on the hr.) of 560 ft., the fountain, in the center of Fountain Hills, AZ, is higher than the Washington Monument. It is also 10 ft. taller then Notre Dame Cathedral, 110 ft. higher than the Great Pyramid of Cheops in Egypt and 3 times as high as Old Faithful Geyser in Yellowstone Park. The pump is powered by 3 500 HP pumps which forces 70,000 gals. of reclaimed water per minute through an 18" nozzle specially designed & built by Switzerland's Institute of Hydraulic Research. Beautiful at sunset with the sun shining on it.

Long way up those palm trees for those lights!
Live Nativity


Choo Choo Train Lights
Lights clear up the tree
Playing in the "man made" snow

Santa & a couple of cuties
After we left there, we came back to Mesa & went down Main Street to see the Mormon Temple & all the lights there. They were having an outside concert that we stopped to listen to for a few minutes. I hadn't grabbed my jacket from the truck, so I was a little chilly. We plan on going back down there again to take pictures as mine didn't come out very clear. I will post them at a later date. I need to use my camera more in the evenings under different conditions to get the most out of it. They were pretty blurry & it's hard to see what you are taking in the dark. Between being night & the lights & people moving, it's a hard combination to photograph.

We made a quick stop at Walmart to pick up more candy making ingredients so I can hopefully finish that this week. Maybe even get some done tonight (Sunday).

This morning I took my Ritz Cracker cookies to Coffee Fellowship after Chapel & the plate was clean so I guess they were good. Again, thanks Amy. I used wheat crackers & reduced fat peanut butter, but I still didn't eat any. That's because I ate a weeks worth of points almost yesterday with fudge! Oh my! This is a really bad time of year for me. Chocolate & Sweets. Speaking of church this morning.....they keep track of attendance from one year to the next for the same Sunday, last year at this time there were 139 attendees, today there were 190! Wow! God is Good! As Aaron says.....All the Time!

I've spent all afternoon on the computer messing around. Amazing how time flies when you are playing with emails, setting up email contact categories & downloading pictures from the camera. It was a dreary, cloudy day, so didn't accomplish much. We did call home to the Rockwell 50th Anniversary party going on at the Holiday Inn in Warren. Got to talk to a few people & to wish them well. Bill had called Dick S. his friend, & he had been out blowing snow. They got about 8" last night! It's so hard to tell them (ya right!!!!) how nice it is out here & we don't brag about the weather or the temperature or the sunsets or ....... you know.

Our neighbor, Ruby, just came over & invited us to play cards tonight after we eat. I guess I won't be making candy tonight. Oh well, there is always tomorrow. Nothing on the calendar except a gentleman is coming to wash our roof & trailer & then in a couple of days he's going to coat the rubber roof for us. That will save me worrying about Bill falling off & neither of us are keen on heights so that solved our problem. It may rain tonight but doesn't call for it tomorrow.

Well, my hubby is cooking chicken on the grill, the sweet potato is baking in the microwave & I'm about done here, so...........
Until next time..............The Traveling Cardinal's

No comments: