Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Easy on Down the Road We Go

When I woke up on Friday morning the 18th, I thought I was back in Hidden Valley Campground, NY State!!! I looked out the little window by my bed to get my bearings & I thought "what is all that water; do we have a leak??? Then I looked out the kitchen window! Oh, Oh. Honey, we are flooded! Now how can it flood with no rain? It's called "High Tide". Was it ever. One of the guys said that is only the 2nd time he's seen the river come over into the campground like that. This is looking out my door to the public dock to the right. The water was about 8" or so above the dock.
This is out my door & my floating patio rug. Thank goodness for the trees & the picnic table. It caught the corner of it & kept it from floating farther.
The trailer at the end of the dock is completely surrounded. He's the one that said he's only ever seen this twice before! Don't think we'll build a fire tonight!
This is looking toward the bath house/restrooms. The right corner is my bedroom slide. Guess the garbage will have to wait as I'm not wading through that!
Now this is Sat., the 20th. Beautiful day!! 4 Kayaks having fun. This is on their way out.
This is on their way in!!! Low Tide & ankle deep water.
We had Hunter, Nick & Noah overnight on Sat. night. Gave Mom & Dad a chance to go out to eat & an evening by themselves. This is Noah after playing a game of catch with the Velcro Mitts. He put them on the chair & he looks like Mickey Mouse sitting there!
On Monday, Renee had a request to have her Dad make his Chicken Salad for lunch. She brought her friend Tiffany out to the trailer. We had a good time. The weather was perfect & no one wanted to leave to go home to kids & homework. We walked around part of the campground. The girls had Bill's binoculars & saw this bird sitting on a piling. The beak looked like duck, but the rest of the body looked like a penguin! Any one ever seen anything like this???
We were fascinated with watching mommy duck & her 3 little ducklings. After the girls left, I was watching how the mother would shew them all in an area apart from her & they would mimic her cleaning her feathers.
Almost each night we spent at Renee & Tom's for supper. A couple of times we begged off & told them to spend it as a family & let the boys get their homework done without Papa & Grandma there. Bill & I got some running around done at Walmart & Aldi's. I got my hair cut on Tues. & we stocked up on the stuff we can't get once we leave the area. Favorite brands of food & no Aldi Grocery Stores.

Tuesday was our last day to spend in Maryland with the kids. I helped Nick with his homework & Renee helped Noah so we got done a little faster. After supper we usually have time to play a couple of games with the kids before we leave & they have to go to bed. We played Left, Right & Center & Farkle. They do better at LR & C as it doesn't take as long. They get impatient with the other one, but they like to play. They would rather play XBox. Renee finally had to buy an egg timer so they could take turns with the XBox game on the TV. It's a favorite of the boys. Since they showed they were "big boys" at night before & after school started, Renee went to the store where they sell 2nd hand games & got them 2 & 1 free. They sure can make them work; I don't even understand them. Here's our boys, Nick & Noah playing with their trucks.
I didn't have quite as bad a time leaving them this time as last year since we are flying to their house for Christmas this year. That made it a little easier! I still miss them all though.

Yesterday I received an email from my dear friend, Karen. She has kept me posted on her in-laws that live in Arizona. They have both been having failing health in the past year & Doug's dad passed away & went to be with his Lord on Sunday. Doug is at pastoral counseling classes & after much prayer & having already talked with his Dad beforehand, has decided to continue with his classes. May God give him peace for the tough decision that he has had to make by not being with his family, yet continuing with the Lord's instruction & work. Doug was our pastor at my home church in N. Warren, as well as my boss when I was janitor & secretary. They visit us when they come to Arizona to visit his parents. His mom is failing fast too, & it wouldn't surprise me if she followed her husband to her heavenly home in the very near future.

We left Maryland at 8:40am this morning & got as far as Selma, NC. It was a hot & humid day today. We ran in & out of rain all day after we got out of Richmond, VA. After we stopped for lunch & fuel, Bill drove & I slept. Then I picked out a campground for about where we would be. As soon as I saw it from the I-95, I knew we had stayed her before a couple of years ago. Easy in, easy out. I love those pull thrus. Since we didn't unhitch tonight, we can get an early start in the morning. Hopefully we can make it to S. Carolina or Georgia tomorrow. We saw 3 accidents today. 2 cars & one semi jack knifed. They just don't know enough to slow down in the down pouring rain!

Well, we started out on our journey today & our son, Mark, started out on his. He left Norfolk Naval Shipyards today on the USS Cole & will be gone for a couple of months. We pray for a safe journey for him & his fleet. Keep them & all our troops in your prayers!

That about wraps up our journey as of tonight. So, until next time.............The Traveling Cardinal's

No comments: