Monday, October 26, 2009

First Day Back to Excercise Class

Oh, my, I forgot I had those muscles & I think my legs weigh 50 lbs. each! I decided I had to do some serious "getting in shape" so may as well get out of bed & exercise at 8 AM 3 days a week (Monday, Tuesday & Friday). If it doesn't do any good in the next 6 months, I'll retire from that too!

Seriously, we have a great time & our leader, Cathy, is fun & focused. I need her! She tells you when to breath in, breath out & counts at the same time! A real leader. Tomorrow we use the 5# weight ball. Now tomorrow or Wed. I might say something different!

Chris, Noreen & Cindy in the office were excited to see me this morning. They all had to come out of the office & give me a hug. That makes you feel good to get such a "welcome back" from them. Of course, they know I stop & visit & pick on them all year. I think they miss us all.

It was a beautiful day today. We got our rent & cable paid for the next 3 months & ready to have fun & enjoy. Bill went to play cards this afternoon & I went to the pool. They were all kidding me about just getting here & laying around the pool already. I said if Bill could play, so could I. But they must remember, I don't leave my home closed up for 6 months at a time so I keep mine pretty much cleaned up all year. Although it does need a good housecleaning (walls, ceilings) & outside. But that will come in a day or two. Suppose to cool down a couple days.

While I was at the pool, Phoenix's local TV Channel 3 came to do a shoot about the park. They were using the angle about the economy & how it effects Apache Junction businesses & if it will be better this year than last. The cameraman came out to the pool & told everyone he was going to take some shots of them in the pool. Our neighbor down the street, Stu & his wife Carol were in there along with our exercise leader, Cathy & her husband Brian. Well he took pictures & then interviewed Stu (whose birthday was today - Happy Birthday Stu!) He asked him if he spent money here in town & where. Stu said, restaurants, Walmart, restaurants, Walmart. Then they interviewed Cathy. After he left, Carol said they should have sent him to talk to me about our ordeals & I said, Oh no, we've had enough problems parking that rig for 2 days, that's enough publicity for me. Well, these clips were on the 5 & 6 o'clock news tonight. He showed guys playing pool, those in the pool, a lady sitting by the pool & then oh, my gosh!!! There I was laying in all my glory in a bathing suit reading, on TV!!! I never knew he was taking those pictures. At least I wasn't looking at the camera!!


Tonight I went to buy some flowers to put in pots in front of the trailer along with my pumpkin we got yesterday. Doesn't seem possible Halloween is here already.

Well, nothing special to write about except the above & to let everyone know we are all doing well & it is gorgeous weather.

I received this this past week & I really love it. It makes me look at myself, like myself & smile at myself:

I would never trade my amazing friends, my wonderful life, my loving family for less grey hair or a flatter belly. As I've aged, I've become kinder to myself, and less critical of myself.. I've become my own friend. I don't chide myself for eating that extra cookie, or for not making my bed, or for buying that silly cement gecko that I didn't need, but looks so avante garde on my patio. I am entitled to a treat, to be messy, to be extravagant.

I have seen too many dear friends leave this world too soon; before they understood the great freedom that comes with aging..

Whose business is it if I choose to read or play on the computer until 4 AM and sleep until noon? I will dance with myself to those wonderful tunes of the 50, 60 &70's, and if I, at the same time, wish to weep over a lost love .. I will.

I will walk the beach in a swim suit that is stretched over a bulging body, and will dive into the waves with abandon if I choose to, despite the pitying glances from the jet set. They, too, will get old.

I know I am sometimes forgetful.
But there again, some of life is just as well forgotten. And I eventually remember the important things.

Sure, over the years my heart has been broken.. How can your heart not break when you lose a loved one, or when a child suffers, or a pet is lost.

But broken hearts are what give us strength and understanding and compassion. A heart never broken is pristine and sterile and will never know the joy of being imperfect.

I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turning grey, and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my face. So many have never laughed, and so many have died before their hair could turn silver.

As you get older, it is easier to be positive. You care less about what other people think. I don't question myself anymore. I've even earned the right to be wrong.

So, to answer your question, I like being old. It has set me free. I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be. And I shall eat dessert every single day (if I feel like it).

So, until next time............The Traveling Cardinal's

No comments: